Aria

Aria

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Aria's Life in Review: Day 47 - August 15, 2014

I usually woke up around 5-6am to pump milk, so since I was up anyway I decided to call in to the NICU and check on Aria.  I talked to her night nurse who told me that Aria had crashed again during the night.  They were able to revive her quickly enough that they didn't call us and wake us up, but still significant. This just reaffirmed that we knew Aria was no longer meant to stay.


After 2 close calls in a 24 hour period, we decided one of us should be with her at all times until she passed.  We decided I should sleep at the hospital that night.  We were lucky to have that same night nurse 3 nights in a row so I got to spend a lot of time talking to her.  When I arrived that evening, that nurse was giving Aria a bath.  Although at first glanced she seemed to be sponging her pretty roughly (I was always afraid of hurting her or a wire though so I always bathed her super soft), one look at Aria showed me that she was actually loving it!  She was in total bliss.  I even took a video because I don't know if I had ever seen her that happy before.  She did love her baths though! It was the first little bit of happiness I felt from her since she had coded the day before.  I know it doesn't make sense to most people how we could sense her different emotions from a baby who appears to be sleeping most of the time, but it's the same as with any newborn - you get a sense for what they're feeling very quickly when it's your own child.


Right before visiting hours were over, my sister and brother-in-law ran in.  They had been in CA that week and weren't supposed to come back for a couple more days.  However, I had updated Kav about Aria's code the day before, and then that morning when she found out about the 2nd incident, they hurried and packed up and were on the road within half an hour to come back.  So of course we had her hold Aria, and our night nurse was awesome and let us sneak my brother-in-law in the room too (normally only 2 people are allowed bedside at a time).  Aria had her eyes open a lot but looked so sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment